Thursday, October 29, 2015

Sex Industry: A Culture Of Gendered Shame

In looking at the sex industry through the specific lens of gender, some very compelling contradictions can arise. Take, for instance, the fact that the website Pornhub got an average of 2.1 million visits per hour in 2014, but when it was discovered that a Duke University student was performing in scenes to pay her tuition under the name Belle Knox, she faced abuse and harassment from newspapers, classmates, and the internet at large after the story went viral. Apparently women can be filmed having sex and that’s all fine and dandy, but do it while also trying to go to school and then it’s a news story, complete with threats of rape and death. Here we have another example of a situation in which people are obsessed with the sexualization of women’s bodies and how that can so often turn negative, through violence, intimidation, and endless cyberbullying.

This is no less true for transwomen, who likewise find their bodies caught between sexualization and violence. For many transwomen on and off-screen, sex work can be a method of survival in a world that has made it extremely hard (and sometimes a fireable offense) to both work and live as their authentic selves. Janet Mock, and even VICE have written on how men (who identify as straight) find themselves attracted to transwomen, and the backlash that can ensue as both these men and the society we all live in struggles to categorize them.  From that same Pornhub Year In Review, the phrase that placed second for Top Gaining Search Term was “[derogatory word for a transwoman] fuck girl” with a gain of 191% in searches in 2014. At this point, I feel compelled to point out that that same year, The Advocate noted that approximately every two days, someone in the world died for expressing gender non-conformity. Let that juxtaposition sit with you for a minute. Contemplate how yet again, sex and violence find themselves side by side.

Sex as an industry is a very contentious issue within social justice spaces, and I can very much see why. On one hand, even when we sexualize transwomen, we do so with epithets and slurs, and there is no shortage of stories about abuse occurring in this industry. On the other hand, who are we to be controlling women’s bodies and telling them not to do this? I want to name that this writing would be woefully incomplete without the naming of race as a factor. As Janet Mock notes on her website, it is predominantly trans people of color who are making their money in “underground” economies such as sex work. Indeed, she writes, it is through sex work that she (and many others) have found sex work necessary and even empowering.

Personally, in developing my own thoughts on this, I know there’s no simple way to look at this, and certainly in ~750 words. Though many people are more comfortable with absolutist declarations of right and wrong, I embrace the complexity of the issue. I’m not supportive of the ways the sex industry can dehumanize and mistreat women, but at the same time I think that a puritanical declaration of wrong-ness is inappropriate, and also not something that I, as someone who is middle class, the recipient of both white and cis man privilege* and not a sex worker, should feel entitled to comment on. I think it can sometimes be easy for people involved in social justice to turn our noses up at something and declare it problematic without looking deeper, and I don’t want that to happen here.

In summary, if I were to have to deem something problematic, it would be how we as a culture relate to women’s bodies, and not the women who find themselves in circumstances in which sex work is the most viable option. In unpacking this issue, the ways in which SES, Gender, and Race are in play need to be accounted for. It is no accident that so many trans women of color make their living through sex work, just as it is no coincidence that as an identity group they are the targets of abuse and violence in ways that white and/or cis people do not face, in addition to the poverty that so often leads to sex work. This week, like my two lovely co-writers, I am interested in your thoughts on this issue. I want to think critically about something that we as a culture can barely talk about. I’m excited to get into this on Monday with y’all.



*I make this distinction because I want to name my strange relationships with whiteness and being a man while also naming that despite my own internal complexities and questions, I still receive privilege in these areas.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you all for tackling this "sensitive" topic. Alex, just like you post suggest, it is only sensitive when we want it to be. It is oh so sensitive when we talk about it but not so sensitive when people are indulging and engaging in pornography. I think the discussion about trans women of color seeing sex work as necessary and empowering is an important one. I think it is so crazy how quickly this type of work escalates to violence. So I would say that I want to explore of the ways that this is labeled wrong, while sites like pornhub in review has numbers that show otherwise in a sense (the demand for it is still there). Btw, who knew that pornhub did their own statistics. What role do they play in this culture of gendered shame?

    ReplyDelete